Yield: Makes approximately 24 squares
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup unslated butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (optional)
- 1 cup mashed cooked carrots
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (add a few more teaspoons for a thicker glaze if desired)
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Alternately add the flour mixture and orange juice and zest in three parts, beating well after each addition. Stir in the coconut and carrots and mix well.
Pour into a greased 8-by-11-inch baking pan and bake for 35 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Using a wire whisk, combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl. Spread on the orange squares after cooling and cut into squares.
Learn about California Navel Oranges and Murcott Oranges.
Other recipes from Produce Pete.