Jimi Quick's Mixed Greens
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 7 pounds mixed greens (collard, kale, or turnip)
- 12 ounces lean slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 ham hocks (about 12 ounces each)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
Remove the stems from the greens, leaving only tender leaves.
In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over a moderate heat, stirring, until browned. Add the onions, celery, and bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the greens and stir. Cover the saucepan tightly and cook until the greens are wilted. Add the ham hocks, salt, pepper, vinegar, and hot pepper flakes. Stir, cover the pan, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the water, cover, and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 hours.
Learn about Collard Greens.
Other recipes from Produce Pete.